Thursday, September 27, 2012

Post Reading Week Four


In my opinion there were not many privileges that stood out to me during the exercise. I experience have more disadvantages than having privileges. For example, when asked to step forward or backward about my race/ethnicity as to the question if my ancestors were forced to move to this country.  I stood still because I was not sure how to respond to that question even though my ancestors were not forced to come to the United States, they willing wanted to come here because it was the land of opppunitiy. Although I did feel we were forced to move here because if did not feel we had enough oppunitites in Mexico than why would we moved to another country? Although question that stood out to me was, did my have family own more than 50 books. I though to more, surprising there or myself who would own 50 books was various people who step forward. I felt a little dumb for not stepping forward because I felt they had a better educational experience than I did. Knowing about structural privilege is important in achieving social justice because this will help you view and know the privilege you and as a whole race. I believe knowing the privileges and disadvantages will open your eyes to exactly what it is white individuals view your race as and you can show them your race is worth more than what they assume. In “Black Girl Dangerous’ blog post about reverse-racism” the list she makes is an accurate representation of ‘reverse racism’ because it justifies what whites have done throughout to other races throughout history. The things on the list make the claim different compared to the affirmative action in reverse racism because the blog states actions white people did to other races whereas the another one talks more about discrimination rather than doing what whites did to others.

word count: 405

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mariela,
    Thank you for bringing up the ambiguity around the forced movement question! I think it highlights some of the complexities around immigration. Many scholars have noted the 'push/pull' dynamic- namely, that there are both factors 'pushing' people to immigrate out of their country of origin as well as 'pulling' them to their new destination. In this way, the question of 'force' does get tricky, however I think it is important to remember that for the Mexicans living in the 'Northern Mexican Territory' prior to 1848, they were 'forced' to move into the United States after that territory became transferred to the United States. That doesn't necessarily mean that every person of Mexican descent had this experience, rather that Mexicans as well as people of African descent and Indians have been forcibly re-located by the United States. Just something else to complicate that question further ;)
    Also, the goal of the exercise on Wednesday was for people to be aware of the privileges and penalties they have in society- remember, these advantages and disadvantages are no indicative of a person's ability to still be successful or smart. Rather, it just shows that people are in different positions to do so. Thanks!
    --eas

    ReplyDelete